If you’re looking for a coach who’ll do the hard work for you and give you advice on exactly what you need to do… I’m not that coach. (Sad face…just being honest. I don’t want to lead you on.) If you’re ready to dig in and do the work with a trusted partner who will create a safe space to help guide you through the trenches…then WELCOME!! Let’s do this.
Back in 2007, when I started coaching school, I wrote the following purpose statement:
“My purpose is to positively impact the world and sprinkle giggles along the way.”
This still holds true today, but I’m clearer on how I’m meant to positively impact the world…COACHING. My purpose is to create a safe space for you to explore your story—what your story has been and what you want it to be—so that you can show up as the real you every day (and I still want to sprinkle giggles along the way).
What is coaching?
There are a lot of people who carry the title of coach, so I want to be upfront about what I mean when I say coaching (again, I don’t want to lead you on). The word itself—COACH—refers to the old school, horse-drawn vehicle that got you from point A to point B. That’s what coaches do…we help get you from point A to point B. What makes us different is HOW we get you there.
Courageous Feats Coaching is story-based personal and professional development to help you be the leader you are meant to be.
Whether you work alone or in a fortune 500 company, being a leader isn't about your title. It's about striving to make a difference and inspiring others. People look to you for answers and you don’t want to let them down. This is why many leaders struggle with the 3 words—“I don’t know”—and pretend to know…but don’t really know…so they create this false identity of knowing it all and being it all. It’s exhausting! We end up spending our days feeling guilty and shoulding on ourselves, thinking: "I should know ______." and "I should do ______."
Don’t get me wrong, striving to know more and do more can be a healthy push for achieving your goals, but when we lose sight of who we are and are living a life of shoulds…THAT’S NOT HEALTHY.
"I had the pleasure of having Dr. Liz Garcia work with me as my leadership development coach during my tenure as a teacher leader in the New Orleans charter school system. It would be an understatement to simply say that I only learned how to build my own capacity as a school leader with Liz’s coaching. During my time with her, Liz helped to develop me professionally and personally. She continuously pushed me to be a reflective practitioner in education (and everyday life) in order to work toward building a more just and equitable community in New Orleans. Liz has a keen understanding of the importance in building a strong relationship with those she works with, and as a result of that, I was able to really have open and honest conversations with her about myself (personally) and about the work that I was doing. Liz is kind, patient, and encouraging – all of the things you need when working with others in a meaningful way.
Liz is a champion for those who are wanting to develop themselves as productive members of the community. Today, I use a lot of Liz’s coaching in my everyday life. I feel very fortunate to have worked with her and highly recommend Liz to others."
J.C. Romero, M.Ed., Deputy Head of School Crescent International School, Bangkok
You’re in the right place if…
- You’re a leader—whether it’s your work or your life…you want to make a difference and inspire others.
- You feel stuck in the shoulds—you aren’t showing up as the real you…and you might have even forgotten who the real you is because you’re so busy doing and being for everyone else.
- You know that you're meant for more—you’re tired of the routine…it’s draining you but you don’t know what to do about it because you don’t have anything else to give.
- You're ready for a change—things are good, but deep down you know it’s time to change…to become the leader you are meant to be.
Let me help you. Our stories impact the way we live and lead our lives. Most of the time we aren't even aware of the stories we are carrying, much less how they're impacting us. I’ve been there. I can help you do the internal work of owning your story so you can transform your work and lead your life with courage...as the REAL you.
I commit to…
- Listen…I mean REALLY listen and see you for who you are
- Staying Curious…to wonder openly with you, without judgement
- Creating a Safe Space for Being Vulnerable…transformation requires vulnerability so that we may evolve beyond our comfort zone
- Being Empathetic…to put my “stuff” aside so I can see situations from your eyes
- Honoring Your Story…from my work with adult learners, I know how important it is to honor your experiences
- Being Courageous With You…this work isn’t easy and I promise to continue doing the work right alongside you
HOW DOES THIS WORK?
Before we get started, we’ll have an initial 30-minute intro call to make sure we're a good fit. To start the process, fill out the responses to the questions on the Courageous Feats Coaching Application.
SIGNATURE COACHING PACKAGE Over the course of 3 months, you get…
- Six one-on-one coaching sessions (55min each):
- Worksheets to help you prepare for each session and follow up on your customized action steps
- Ongoing email support—You’re not alone in this work. I am available in between sessions to help you move forward
- After our three months, you'll have three 30-minute check-ins to follow up on your courageous action plan
Month 1—Your Story: This month will cover values, balance, lived experiences, and identity. After this month, you’ll be clearer about who you are and the impact of your past stories…including all of those should stories.
Month 2—Your Mindset: In month 2, we’ll focus on choosing the story we tell by exploring our inner critic, self-compassion, and learn to celebrate mistakes.
Month 3—Your Courageous Feats: Our last month will dig into the future. It’s here where we’ll identify the transformation you are after and create your courageous action plan to get it.
During these 3 months, I’ll coach you to:
- Clarify your values so you can make decisions and take actions that are aligned to them
- Prioritize areas for a more balanced life
- Unpack your stories of the past, including your should stories, and understand how they are impacting you today
- Create a mantra that helps you live and lead from your most authentic self
- Recognize patterns in self talk and strategies for shifting any negative talk into more empowering and self-compassionate talk
- Break free of the shoulds and create a plan with detailed actions for the courageous story you want to live
If you are interested in doing this package as a group, take a look at my workshop page.
"Being coached by Liz allowed me to discuss challenges I was facing in my work and find ways to address them in a professional and safe environment. Liz is an active listener who made me feel that her job was to help and support, not to judge. That allowed me to be open about my weaknesses and focus on ways to grow. She gently guided me, was open to my questions, and supported me—which included holding me accountable to doing what I said I was going to do. Working with Liz did more to elevate the quality of my leadership than anything else has in the 6 years that I have been in my role. "
Megan Blase, New York City
Who this isn’t for…
If you’ve read this far then we’re probably in sync, but just to make sure I want to be clear who this work ISN’T for.
Courageous Feats Coaching isn’t for individuals who are looking for someone else to do the work for them. I can hold up a light and guide you through the process, but YOU have to roll up your sleeves and do the actual work…you'll get as much out of this process as you put in.
This is not therapy or counseling. If you are currently working with a therapist or counselor, it will be important that you communicate openly about the services you are receiving with both of us.
I’m allergic to know-it-alls and A-holes…if you're not open to being challenged to grow and can't see that there's ALWAYS room for improvement, then this program is not for you.
I am 100% committed to delivering everything listed above. This process has changed my life and I know it will change yours.
If you're ready to commit with me, take the first step by filling out the Courageous Feats Coaching Application. We'll then schedule our initial 30-minute intro call to make sure we're a good fit and determine which coaching package is right for you:
- Module 1: Your Story
- Module 2: Your Mindset
- Module 3: Your Future Courageous Story
- Signature Package (Includes Modules 1, 2, and 3)
- Dr. Brené Brown's The Daring Way™ or Rising Strong
- Customized Package
Take the leap. You are worth it…